Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Conceiving the Future


So I've decided to finally begin writing a blog to keep others posted on our pregnancy journey, seeing as how most of these 'others' walk around on sidewalks clear across the country.  

Jack and I conceived on October 9th and I knew this because I felt it.  I felt my body changing and moving in ways I had not felt before.  And I felt a fullness below my bellybutton as though something were being built.  That,  including a subtle dip then rise in my ovulatory basal body temperature chart (which I have been keeping for years as a measure of closely tracking my menstrual cycle), and two acupuncture treatments in a row before ovulation day, confirmed my hunch that the 9th was the exact date.  That weekend, I was working at a detoxification retreat at the Tao of Wellness, http://www.taoofwellness.com/ which is the private practice of the founders of my school Drs. Daoshing and Maoshing Ni, based on Wilshire Blvd. in Santa Monica.  Because I had this premonition that our baby was currently in the process of splitting and differentiating cells into a heart, kidneys, brain, placenta, etc., I felt that working at a detox retreat where I was surrounded by people who were ridding their bodies and minds of the everyday muck that accumulates there was a bit counterproductive.  I even felt as though my body were coming down with something and I certainly did not want any foreign matter brewing in me while our baby was trying to take form!  So I took the third day off the three day weekend retreat and never returned.  Two weeks later, during a morning bathroom break at 5 am, I witnessed two pink lines.  Jack heard me gasp and, as I told him the reason for which I had gasped at such a ghastly early hour, I crawled into bed in the darkness beside him and we snuggled with ear-wide smiles for a couple hours in the blanket of our glorious news.  

No comments:

Post a Comment